Membership in SAOA is open to any institution or nonprofit organization whose interests coincide with the project.
Members participate in a collective of South Asia library specialists dedicated to digitizing and providing open access to South Asia related scholarly resources. There are three ways to become a SAOA member:
- Contributing financially ($25,000 over 5 years)
- In-kind contributions consisting of staff time (.2 FTE for 5 years)
- In-kind contributions consisting of digital materials (500 digital volumes over 5 years)
SAOA membership may also be granted through a combination of these three types of contributions, and requests for consideration of this kind will be handled by the SAOA Executive Board as they are received.
Staff Time (In-Kind Membership)
Institutions may become SAOA members through a contribution of staff time to support the organization’s daily operations and activities. These contributions may include: creation or manipulation of metadata, program support, scanning of material, quality control of digital content, or other work that supports the SAOA program and has been discussed and approved by the SAOA Executive Board before membership is finalized.
Digital Content (In-Kind Membership)
Institutions may become SAOA members through a contribution of digital content. This pathway to membership is particularly encouraged for institutions that have existing digital content or current digitizing capabilities but which lack the technical infrastructure to make that content freely and publicly available. SAOA purposefully seeks to be as inclusive as possible when considering in-kind pathways to membership:
- “In-kind Contributions” must align with SAOA Selection Guidelines. The Selection Guidelines are broadly outlined in the SAOA Plan and are interpreted and implemented by the Digitization Working Group. All SAOA-branded content is subject to a proposal process, including “In-Kind Contributions”, and ultimately is reviewed and voted on by the SAOA Executive Board. Specifics about the content of in-kind Contributions (per the proposal process) must be communicated by the potential member and agreed to by the SAOA Executive Committee before membership is finalized.
- “In-kind Contributions” must meet basic digitization specifications as outlined by SAOA. Digitization specifications of “In-kind Contributions” (per the proposal process) must be communicated and agreed to by the SAOA Executive Committee before membership is finalized at the time of membership.
- “In-kind Contributions” cannot already be openly available.
To join SAOA, institutions must make a commitment for five years established by the appropriate Agreement (Financial Agreement Form; In-Kind Staff Time Agreement Form; In-Kind Digital Content Agreement Form).
SAOA aims to include as many members as possible, and welcomes inquiries regarding membership possibilities from potential members. For further questions, please contact Neel Agrawal.