The Center for Research Libraries' Reading Room is open by appointment to researchers who require access to materials from CRL collections.All researchers are welcome to visit but must abide by our rules.
CRL members do not pay a fee to visit the Reading Room, but must make an appointment. Please consult our member list if you do not know if you're a member.
Please note the following:
- Reading Room appointments are available Monday–Friday, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. (CST).
- The CRL Reading Room has microform readers, printers, and power outlets for the use of researchers while on site.
- Within reason, users may bring their own devices, such as laptops, phones and cameras, to capture copies for their research use. CRL reserves the right to prohibit the use of equiptment that is unreasonable or hazardous.
- CRL follows fair use guidelines for copyright. CRL staff does not provide copyright or publication advice to researchers.
Requesting Materials for Use in the Reading Room
- In instances of simultaneous requests for materials or equipment, priority will be given to a patron from a member library.
- Researchers must make an appointment at least three days prior to a visit.
- Contact the Access Services Department (ext.321 or ext.314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements for a visit.
- Please include a list of the material you would like to review.
- Prior to your arrival CRL staff will let you know if any requested material is unavailable.
- Staffing may not allow for additional requests for material on the day of your appointment
- A Reading Room “request” is defined as a per-title maximum of:
- 12 reels of microfilm
- 24 sheets of microfiche
- 4 physical volumes
Fees for using the CRL Reading Room
- All fees for visits are expected to be paid on the day of the visit.
- Payment is made by cash or credit card (please note we charge a fee for each credit card transaction).
- Independent researchers and not-for-profit agencies are charged a fee of $25 per request per day.
- Undergraduate/graduate students and faculty at non-member Universities are charged a fee of $50 per request per day.
- Commercial users are charged a fee of $75 per request per day.
- Should a visitor need additional days to review material the same daily fee will apply.
- Note: Next day appointment may not always be available.