The Center for Research Libraries' Reading Room is open by appointment to researchers who require access to materials from CRL collections. Staff are available to provide assistance to patrons using the Reading Room. The room has reading tables, microform readers and printers, power outlets and a photocopy machine for printed materials. Within reason, users may bring their own devices, such as laptops, phones and cameras, etc. to capture copies for their research use. CRL follows fair use guidelines for copyright but does not advise researchers on how material may be used.
Requesting Materials for Use in the Reading Room
- Reading Room appointments are available Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. (CST).
- An appointment must be made at least three days prior to a visit.
- Contact the Access Services Department (ext.321 or ext.314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements.
- Please include the titles and volumes to be paged to the Reading Room. Please note that sometimes the requested material is not available.
- Within two working days CRL staff will check the availability of the desired material before confirming your appointment.
- If material is checked out to a member library, staff cannot predict when the material will return to the shelves.
A Reading Room “request” is defined as a per-title maximum of:
- 12 reels of microfilm
- 24 sheets of microfiche
- 4 physical volumes
Fees for Non-Members using the CRL Reading Room
- Independent researchers and not-for-profit agencies pay a fee of $25 per request per day
- Commercial users pat a fee of $75 per request per day
- Undergraduate/graduate Students at non-member libraries pat a fee of $50 per request per day
- Faculty at non-member libraries pay a fee of $50 per request per day or $175 per request per week
- In instances of simultaneous requests for materials or equipment, priority will be given to a patron from a member library.
- If a nonmember researcher requires multiple visits to use the same requested material, they are charged for each visit.
- Nonmembers are expected to pay for their Reading Room requests on the day of their visit. Payment can be made by credit card (please note we charge a fee for each credit card transaction) or cash.
- Nonmembers who frequently use the Reading Room may establish a deposit account with CRL to eliminate paying separately for each request. CRL Reading Room staff will keep track of the number of uses and the amount in the deposit account.