Collections and Services Available
CRL accepts ILL requests from a non-member library willing to pre-pay our fee of $175.00. We do not accept IFLA vouchers for these payments.
- The Center for Research Libraries lends hard copy to any type of library in the United States and Canadian provinces. We do not lend to individuals or entities unaffiliated with a library.
- CRL will lend a maximum of four volumes, twelve microfilm reels or twenty-four fiches of one title per request
- The borrowing library agrees to the following :
- Ensure the safe return of the requested material to CRL after its thirty day loan period.
- Pay costs for return of our material by UPS or similiar service.
- Responsible for all costs and fees for replacement of damaged or lost material.
- CRL will copy or digtize an article of up to 50 pages for a library anywhere in the world. CRL will deliver articles via email, fax or mail.
CRL takes requests from libraries using OCLC, ALA ILL Form or IFLA loan forms. Please include payment with your request or a note as to how the payments will be made. Requests will not be processed until payments are received.
When using an ALA or IFLA Inter-Library Loan forms, please mail to Access Services, 6050 S. Kenwood, Chicago IL 60637 or email it to asd-at-crl.edu
Fees and Payment Methods
All ILL requests to non-members must be prepaid. Payment may be made by check, money order, IFM or Credit Card ((VISA or MasterCard). Please note that credit card payments require an additional 3.8% processing fee.
- To make a request via OCLC (IFM) enter a valid IFM code in the MAXCOST field of the ILL request form. Make sure the value of MAXCOST is greater than or equal to the cost of the loan.
- For Credit Card, contect CRL Access Initiatives to arrange payment at 773-955-4545 ext.321 or email email@example.com.
Turnaround time for a loan or digitized article averages one to three business day for all routine requests.
Loan Periods and Recall
The non-member loan period is thirty days. CRL does not renew non-member loans.
Material lent is subject to recall after two weeks of use. Also, CRL will recall loaned material when it is requested by a member library. A borrowing library is obligated to return the material immediately upon recall. If recalled, no part of the fee will be refunded.
Institutions Outside of the United States and Canada
CRL does not lend any hard copy material outside the United States and Canada. Articles and digitization of uncopyrighted material is $175.00 per request. An additional processing fee of 3.8% is charged for credit card payments.
Fees for Lost or Damaged Items
For materials lost or damaged during the loan transaction, CRL follows the principles outlined in Section 4.9 of the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States.
- If an item is lost, or damaged the borrowing library will be billed for the cost of replacement plus a processing fee of $50. If the lost item is out of print and no copy is available a minimum payment of $300 is required. Credit card payments will require an additional processing fee of 3.8%..
- Materials that circulate in containers must be returned with the containers. A fine of $20 will be charged if a container is not included or is replaced. Credit card payments require an additional processing fee of 3.8%,
- A borrowing library will be fined a minimum of $50 if material is damaged. Credit card payments require an additional processing fee of 3.8%.
Shipping Materials for Loan
Outbound loands are shipped via United Parcel Service (UPS) 2-Day Delivery to requesting libraries in the United States and Canada. Costs to ship are included in the transaction fee. If additional shipping costs are required for a loan, the borrowing library will be informed of the necessary additional charges before their credit card is charged. Any additional charges must be prepaid.
The borrowing library is responsible for return shipping costs. CRL requires that borrowed material be returned via UPS, Fed Ex or DHL (or similar service) with tracking and insurance paid for the amount specified on the ILL form.
Libraries who are solely CRL Global Resources program (CAMP, LAMP, SAMP) members pay all shipping costs for materials borrowed in both directions.
Non-Members & the CRL Reading Room
Non-members may make an appointment to use our Reading Room in Chicago. Appointments to use the Reading Room must made at least three business days in advance of a visit. Visitors may not browse our stacks. Materials are paged prior to the date of the appointment. Please see our Reading Room page for more information or call Access Initiatives at 773-955-4545 ext. 288.