Collections and Services Available
CRL accepts ILL requests from a non-member library willing to pre-pay our fee of $175.00. We do not accept IFLA vouchers for these payments.
- The Center for Research Libraries lends hard copy to any type of library in the United States and Canadian provinces. We do not lend to individuals or entities that do not have a library.
- CRL will lend a maximum of four volumes, twelve microfilm reels or twenty-four fiches of one title per request
- The borrowing library agrees to the following :
- Ensure the safe return of the requested material to CRL after its thirty day loan period.
- Pay costs for return of our material by UPS or similiar service.
- Responsible for all costs and fees for replacement of damaged or lost material.
- CRL will copy or digtize an article of up to 50 pages for a library anywhere in the world. CRL will deliver articles via email, fax or mail.
CRL takes requests from libraries using OCLC, ALA ILL Form or IFLA loan forms. Please include payment with your request or a note as to how the payments will be made. Requests will not be processed until payments are received.
When using an ALA or IFLA Inter-Library Loan forms, please mail to Access Services, 6050 S. Kenwood, Chicago IL 60637, FAX (773) 955-9732 or email asd at crl.edu
Fees and Payment Methods
All ILL requests to non-members must be prepaid. Payment may be made by check, money order, IFM or Credit Card ((VISA or MasterCard). Please note that credit card payments require an additional 3.8% processing fee.
- To make a request via OCLC (IFM) enter a valid IFM code in the MAXCOST field of the ILL request form. Make sure the value of MAXCOST is greater than or equal to the cost of the loan.
- For Credit Card, contect CRL Access Initiatives to arrange payment at 773-955-4545 ext.321 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Turnaround time for a loan or digitized article averages one to three business day for all routine requests.
Loan Periods and Recall
The non-member loan period is thirty days. CRL does not renew non-mamber loans.
Material lent is subject to recall after two weeks of use. CRL will recall loaned material when it is requested by another library. A borrowing library is obligated to return the material immediately upon recall.
Institutions Outside of the United States and Canada
CRL does not lend hard copy material outside the United States and Canada. Article requests are $175.00 each. An additional processing fee of 3.8% is charged for for credit card payments.
Fees for Lost or Damaged Items
For materials lost or damaged during the loan transaction, the Center follows the principles outlined in Section 4.9 of the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States.
- If an item is lost, or damaged the borrowing library will be billed for the cost of replacement plus a processing charge of $50. If the item is out of print and no copy is available for replacement a minimum payment of $500 will be required. Credit card payments will require an additional processing fee of 3.8%..
- Materials that circulate in containers must be returned with the containers. A fine of $20 will be charged if a container is replaced. Credit card payments require an additional processing fee of 3.8%,
- A borrowing library may also be fined a minimum of $20 if material is damaged. Credit card payments require an additional processing fee of 3.8%.
Shipping Materials for Loan
CRL ships via United Parcel Service (UPS) 2-Day Delivery to requesting libraries in the United States and Canada. Shipping costs to the borrower are included in the transaction fee. In cases where there are additional costs, the borrowing library will be informed of the necessary additional charges before their credit card is charged. Any additional charges must be prepaid.
The borrowing library is responsible for paying return shipping costs. CRL requires that borrowed material be returned via UPS (or similiar service) with tracking and insurance paid for the amount specified on the ILL form.
Non-Members & the CRL Reading Room
Students, faculty, and other researchers unaffiliated with a member library are welcome to use CRL materials in our Reading Room in Chicago.Appointments to use the Reading Room must be made with the Access Services Department at least three business days in advance of a visit. Please note there is a fee for non-members for use of the Reading Room. Please see our page on the Reading Room for more information.