The Librarian Exchange Working Group aims to promote and intensify the professional exchange between librarians from Germany and North America. Colleagues are encouraged to present at conferences and take part in professional visits and exchange programs. This outreach should include all members of the professional community: professionals, faculty staff, and students. The Working Group seeks collaboration with other committees in Germany and North America that are pursuing similar goals.
The Librarian Exchanges Working Group has sponsored a survey to collect information from North American institutions willing to host library school student interns from German-speaking countries. Survey responses listing Internship Opportunities are posted here.
The Librarian Exchanges Working Group has solicited reports from North American librarians who have done library-related travel in German-speaking countries and librarians from German-speaking countries who have done a library exchange in North America. The reports can be viewed on the WESSWeb here.
The Librarian Exchange Working Group was formed in 2007 because the German Members of GNARP stressed a strong interest in having more exchange possibilities with libraries in North America. Furthermore, the Librarian Exchange Working Group would like to promote professional exchange for American colleagues travelling to Germany.
The Working Group aims to:
- identify the different needs of German and North American colleagues regarding exchange.
- provide a Web-based clearinghouse for exchange opportunities for all members of the professional community (professionals, faculty, students).
- list possibilities for the funding of various exchange activities
- promote and encourage the active participation in conferences in Germany, Canada, USA.
- help interested colleagues establish contacts with libraries in Germany and North America they would like to visit professionally.
- establish new forms of exchange programs, such as “virtual shadowing” (collaboration via e-mail, chat, video conference, and meetings in the virtual world).
Librarians working in areas where they can foster strong ties between Germany and North America are a crucial resource for GNARP.
Meeting Minutes and other information related to the ongoing work of the Librarian Exchanges Working Group can be found in the Librarian Exchanges Working Group Workspace.
The Librarian Exchanges Working Group Workspace is a wiki tool that members can access to review and edit or add content. It is open only to GNARP Members. Contact the CRL representative for information on access to the Workspace.
To join the Librarian Exchanges Working Group, contact the CRL representative with your full name, e-mail address, and institutional affiliation.