Global Resources Partnership in Science, Technology, and Engineering
In 2012 the Center for Research Libraries and the Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering & Technology (LHL) formed a strategic partnership to preserve, further develop and provide access to historical research collections in the fields of science, technology, and engineering. The partnership builds upon the rich holdings of print serials in those fields assembled by the two institutions during the past six decades, which together constitute a premier library of global science CRL and LHL are combining resources to promote the visibility of these collections worldwide, making them available electronically and through traditional ILL and document delivery to researchers through CRL libraries in the United States, Canada, and Hong Kong.
The partnership commenced July 2012, and will run for an initial five years, through June 2017.
The collections covered by the partnership include issues of more than 50,000 combined journal titles acquired and maintained by CRL and LHL to date including:
- Current and back file STE print serials from Elsevier, Wiley, Springer, and other publishers
- Historical science serials published by the Russian Academy of Sciences and other learned societies in Europe, Asia, and the U.S.
- Foreign serials in the fields of Physics, Chemistry, and Engineering received through the Library of Congress Cooperative Acquisition Program
- Engineering specifications, technical reports, standards, and other publications of U.S. and foreign government agencies
- Other retrospective serials (aside from those in the Linda Hall Library rare book collections).
Services to CRL Libraries
LHL provides the following benefits to CRL and its member libraries:
- Maintain the designated collections on the premises of its facility in Kansas City under appropriate security and climate control
- Maintain subscriptions to designated serial holdings titles (based on LHL’s budget and mutual agreement with CRL)
- Annually deliver to CRL issue level MARC21 holdings information on designated serial titles for inclusion in the PAPR database.
- Provide document delivery of articles to CRL libraries through the RapidILL document delivery service.
- Digitize single volumes in the collection to fulfill requests from scholars at CRL libraries.
On a timetable to be mutually established, CRL will also contribute to LHL materials from its own holdings to augment and fill gaps in the designated collections.
Joint CRL and LHL Responsibilities
The institutions are working together to promote visibility and use of the designated collections, and to secure additional resources for preservation, digitization, and further development of the designated collections.
Together CRL and LHL will acquire for the designated collections appropriate historical monographs, serials, and related materials in the history of science, technology, and engineering of interest to scholars at CRL libraries. All collecting will be contingent upon the availability of funds.
CRL and LHL have formed a Global Resources STE steering committee to guide digitization and future development of the designated collections.