All materials digitized from CRL collections can be discovered through CRL’s online catalog, as well as WorldCat and various web-scale library discovery services.
Access to the materials depends on where they are hosted.
- All digital files hosted on CRL’s DDS server are available to patrons at all CRL member libraries, but access to some files may be restricted to member library IP address ranges because of the rights status of the source material. To ensure patron access from off-site locations, CRL member institutions must set their proxy server configurations for CRL resources or use CRL Shibboleth to authenticate using their University login.
- Digital files generated through some collaborative programs under the CRL organizational umbrella such as LLMC are hosted on servers outsider the CRL domain, and are available through member IP validation.
- Digital files generated through CRL collaborations with publishers, such as Readex or ProQuest, are available to libraries purchasing the resulting digital collections at special terms available to CRL members. CRL institutions may also request digital interlibrary loan of specific content from the ProQuest APCRL digital collection
Various rights restrictions may apply to the original source materials digitized by CRL. In deciding what collection materials to digitize, CRL weighs the risk of unintentional infringement on intellectual property rights against the value of providing researchers access to materials that are fragile, unique and/or difficult to replace.
CRL digital files may be accessed only for personal educational or research use by students and scholars. CRL does not hold the copyrights to archival or published source material held in its collections. Any copyrighted images and texts are not to be reproduced, displayed, broadcast or otherwise distributed without obtaining the expressed, written permission of the copyright owner. After confirming rights with any copyright owner, please also credit the Center for Research Libraries as source of the image.
For CRL materials distributed in collaboration with publishers, permission for reproduction or distribution must be sought through the publisher. (Normally these requests should be granted for any public domain source material.)
- For the World Newspaper Archive collections, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to use image reproductions for publication. Please credit NewsBank and the Center for Research Libraries as the source of the image.
- For APCRL (American Periodicals from the Center for Research Libraries), please contact email@example.com to use image reproductions for publication. Please credit ProQuest and the Center for Research Libraries as the source of the image.