The Center for Research Libraries' Reading Room is open by appointment to researchers who require access to materials from CRL collections. It has reading tables, microform reader and printers, and a photocopy machine for printed materials. Staff are available to provide assistance to patrons using the Reading Room.
Requesting Materials for Use in the Reading Room
- Contact the Reading Room Coordinator (800-621-6044, ext.347) or the Access Services Department (ext.321 or ext.314) to request titles and volumes to be paged to the Reading Room. Staff must check the shelves before reporting on the availability of requested materials.
- Within two working days, the Reading Room Coordinator will contact the requester to report on the availability of the materials and to set up an appointment.
- If material is checked out to a member library, staff cannot predict when the material will return to the shelves.
- Reading Room appointments are available Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. (CST).
Fees for Non-Members using the CRL Reading Room
- Independent researchers and not-for-profit agencies: $25 per request per day
- Commercial users: $75 per request per day
- Undergraduate/graduate Students: $50 per request per day
- Faculty: $50 per request per day or $175 per request per week
A “request” is defined as a per-title maximum of:
- 12 reels of microfilm
- 24 sheets of microfiche
- 4 physical volumes
- In instances of simultaneous requests for materials or equipment, priority will be given to a patron from a member library.
- If the nonmembers require more than one visit to use the requested material, they will be charged as if another request had been made.
- Nonmembers will be expected to pay for their Reading Room requests at the time of their visit to use the material. Payment can be made by credit card, check, or cash.
- Nonmembers who frequently use the Reading Room may wish to establish deposit accounts with CRL in order to eliminate paying separately for each request. CRL Reading Room staff will keep track of the number of uses and the amount in the deposit account.