The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) seeks an Executive Assistant to provide administrative support to the CRL President and the CRL executive leadership team. Reporting to the CRL President, the Executive Assistant is a key member of the CRL team, often acting as the first point of contact between the CRL President and key external and internal stakeholders including the CRL leadership, CRL committees, and key CRL partners. The Executive Assistant will prepare calendars, prioritize requests for meetings, and ensure the availability of meeting materials.
Based in Chicago, IL, the Center for Research Libraries is an international consortium of university, college, and independent research libraries and an enduring model for cooperative collection development and community building among the research library community. From its original founding in 1949 by ten member libraries in the Midwestern United States, today CRL represents an international consortium of university, college, and independent research libraries collectively building, stewarding, and sharing a wealth of resource materials from all world regions to support inspired research and teaching.
CRL is dedicated to advancing the values and first principles of academic librarianship, including the defense of intellectual freedom, celebration of diversity, advocacy of responsible stewardship, and promotion of social responsibility and the social good.
As a place of work, CRL places a high value on excellence, accountability, innovation, inclusivity, and teamwork. Learn more about us and our work here.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks to facilitate the CRL President’s effective leadership of the organization, including calendar management and scheduling; collecting and preparing information for meetings with staff and outside parties; maintaining contact lists; making travel arrangements; and completing expense reports
- Provide administrative support for CRL leadership and CRL committees, including scheduling, meeting material and dossier preparation, and recording and tracking meeting minutes.
- Provide general office support, including replenishing office materials and supplies
- Other administrative projects/duties for the overall benefit of the organization
Qualifications/Education and experience
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and a minimum of two years of experience, or the equivalent combination of training, education, and experience are required. Strong candidates will also possess:
- High degree of professionalism in working with diverse groups of stakeholders, including senior leadership, Board and committee members, staff, and key partners.
- Expert organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication and customer service skills
- Exceptional time management and the ability to prioritize/react with appropriate urgency to events requiring a quick response/turnaround
- Appreciation for collaboration, continuous process improvement, and new ideas
- Commitment to professional ethics and the ability to appropriately handle information of a confidential or sensitive nature
- Experience working in academia and/or with nonprofit Boards is a plus.
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time, permanent position with an expected starting salary between 60-65K per year. CRL offers competitive benefits including health, dental, life and disability insurance, and flexible PTO including vacation, sick, personal time, 2 floating and 12 paid holidays per year. In addition, CRL offers generous retirement benefits with a monthly 10% contribution after a year of employment (immediately vested). Employees will receive funding for professional development activities. Although the successful candidate is expected to work on-site in CRL’s headquarters next to the campus of the University of Chicago, hybrid on-site/remote schedules are possible, pending manager approval.
Expertise in each requirement listed above is not expected — instead, we encourage applications from those who demonstrate a mix of expertise in some areas and commitment to learning and experimentation in others. Skills and relevant experience outlined in your application may be paid or unpaid, and can include internships, volunteer work, and practicums. We understand that experience, education and learning, and creativity take many forms, and expect that qualified applicants may bring additional skills to this position that we’ve not considered or listed here. If this role interests you, we encourage you to apply!
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Executive Assistant’ in the subject line. We are keen to fill this important position on our team, and applications will be received until the position is filled. Applications received by close of business Monday, January 9, 2023 will be given priority attention.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
CRL enthusiastically embraces the empathy, courage, self-reflection, and respect of a multi-cultural, diverse, and inclusive workplace, and those who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions. CRL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. CRL is committed to actively promoting the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion as key components for serving our members and advancing our global mission. As such, CRL complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment, hiring and employment and is dedicated to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at CRL are based on organization needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. CRL will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.