March 17, 2020
Beginning Tuesday, March 17, and continuing through at least Thursday, April 30, the Center for Research Libraries will suspend all on-site operations. Although this decision will cause disruptions to some CRL services and operations, I made the decision to close the CRL facility to prioritize the health and well-being of CRL staff. During this time, the CRL Executive Leadership Team and I will reassess the rapidly developing COVID-19 situation daily. As we gain more clarity, and when we determine that it is appropriate, we will resume on-site operations.
The temporary shut-down in CRL’s on-site operations means that:
Lending / On Demand Digitization Are Temporarily Suspended
- CRL will be unable to provide lending / article delivery services to members until further notice.
- We ask that return shipments be held at your institution to minimize the risk of loss. CRL will not place recalls or renewals during this time.
- Linda Hall Library article delivery (through RapidILL) is discontinued until at least April 27, according to LHL’s own contingency plans. We will update this information as we learn more.
We continue to offer access to a vast corpus of digital content available remotely
- CRL will maintain the online availability of digital resources. Please see our Digital Collections page for access to CRL’s extensive digital resources or read more about CRL Digital Resources for those Working Remotely (remote users may access resources using Shibboleth or via your institution’s proxy server).
CRL staff are working remotely and are available to help researchers through virtual reference
- CRL’s reference and instruction team is happy to field requests for research assistance, and can help researchers affiliated with CRL member libraries access and navigate CRL’s vast store of digital primary source content.
While our number one priority right now is the health and well-being of CRL staff, we are committed to maintaining strong lines of communication with CRL members and partners during this time. Working remotely, CRL staff remain ready to assist you, and I encourage you to contact me or the appropriate CRL staff with any questions or concerns.
Wishing you optimism, safety and health.
Greg Eow, President
Center for Research Libraries