Head of Communications
The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) seeks a creative, entrepreneurial communications and public relations professional to direct CRL’s visibility strategy. Reporting to the Head of Membership Development and Engagement, the professional in this position will play a key role devising and executing a visibility strategy that amplifies and articulates CRL’s value proposition in ways which engage and inspire current and potential members. Our Head of Communications will directly supervise the work of at least one staff member, and lead CRL’s Communications and Engagement Team.
Founded in 1949, the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) is an international consortium of over 200 university, college and independent libraries working collaboratively to build, steward, and disseminate global research collections to empower scholarship. The Center for Research Libraries is an enduring model for building collective collections and leveraging shared infrastructure within the research library community, and is poised to grow in order to project its mission into a radically altered knowledge ecosystem.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for setting the overall communications and public relations strategy for the Center for Research Libraries, in collaboration with the CRL President, CRL Executive Leadership Team, and CRL staff
- Oversees the planning, production and posting of external communications material including the CRL annual report, newsletter and other materials promoting collections services and programs
- Responsible for overall CRL Web presence, authors and updates website content, monitors and analyzes Web traffic statistics, and works with Web Developers on UI and UX enhancements
- Establishes and implements CRL’s Social Media Guidelines
- Engages in periodic travel to represent CRL in order to raise CRL’s visibility with key audiences
- Directs the promotion and production of CRL webinars, webcasts, forums and other public events
- Chairs the CRL Communications and Engagement Team
- Manages CRL editorial staff
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. MLIS or other advanced degree with a concentration in communication and/or marketing preferred
- Direct experience in communications, public relations and marketing which will inform the promotion of CRL’s programs and services to libraries, scholars, and related communities of interest
- Ability to analyze information, break down complex problems into actionable steps, and to manage complex problems from start through completion
- Ability to build and lead teams, taking into consideration multiple viewpoints
- Superior oral and written communications skills and the demonstrated ability to build positive internal and external relationships
- Ability to plan and organize own work and work of others across multiple task groups and organizational boundaries
- Experience in web content management systems (CMS) such as Drupal preferred
Respond with the title of the position in the subject line to: Resumes@crl.edu. You may also respond by mail or fax, indicating the position you are applying for to:
Center for Research Libraries
6050 S. Kenwood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. CRL is actively committed to promoting the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion as key components for serving its members and advancing its global mission. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.