Scholars’ Access Program
CRL is offering the Scholars’ Access Program on a pilot basis. Unlike other CRL collection programs, the Scholars’ Access Program will provide access to material that may not be added to CRL’s physical collection. Examples include:
- limited-term access to a database
- purchase of short-term newspaper subscription in either hard-copy or online format
- Minimum cost of $300
- Resource is not presently accessible through the member library
- Resources should be used to meet a specific research or teaching need
- Type of material is not limited to dissertations, archives, or newspapers, but is opened to all types, serials, monographs, etc.
- The time period for access would fall under CRL’s fiscal year, July 1 through June 30
The Scholars’ Access Program honors requests that meet these criteria as funds permit on a first-come, first-served basis with a maximum expenditure of $2,000 per patron per fiscal year. This maximum includes purchases from both the Scholars’ Access Program and the Demand Purchase Program. Procedures:
- Requests should be initiated by librarians working with the scholar at a CRL library.
- Requests should be submitted via e-mail to Mary Wilke.
- Requests should briefly define the scholars’ research needs and interests and the resources they wish to have access to, including an estimated total cost.
- Once they receive confirmation that funding is available from CRL, the scholar or librarian at the member institution should make arrangements for access, although the CRL may need to mediate.
- The member library or scholar should send Mary Wilke a copy of the bill for the material along with a request for reimbursement up to the amount awarded by the Scholars’ Access Program.
- CRL will not be responsible for any costs that go over the amount awarded.
- CRL should be acknowledged in any outcomes of the project.