20th Century American Newspapers, Series 1 to 3
This three-part digital series succeeds Early American Newspapers, providing newspapers from across the United States from the early 1920s to the end of the Cold War.
CRL is working to gather additional information and critical assessment of this resource. We encourage our community to submit comments on their experiences with it.
This resource is currently offered to CRL libraries at favorable terms. Representatives at each library have been sent login access to view purchase or subscription offers.
Sources for this review include information publicly posted or obtained directly from the publisher, data collected by CRL staff and members, and examination of the digital collection when possible. Other sources are noted where cited.
This three-part digital series succeeds Early American Newspapers, providing newspapers from across the United States from the early twenties to the end of the Cold War. The 20th Century American Newspapers series provides, to some extent, “packages of convenience.” Each title included in the packages is already available individually through the American Newspaper Archives series offered by Readex. There does not seem to be a unifying theme to each series, except perhaps regional diversity. Readex notes their selection principles: “these three series were designed to provide broad geographic coverage for this time period, following the model of the parallel series of Early American Newspapers (which end in 1922).” Libraries may want to request their own particular combination of titles.
Holdings and Gaps
A source title list provided by Readex is available in Appendix A.
Holdings appear to be quite comprehensive for the most part, with only scattered issues missing from the extensive runs compiled by Readex. The major exception is the Augusta Chronicle, which (at the time of writing) is missing as many as 2000 issues from its included run of 1923–93.
The following list details the more prominent gaps in coverage for all three series:
- Times-Picayune [New Orleans] – Lacks: Apr 1937; Sep 16-30, 1961; Jan 1-10, 1968; Apr 1-7, 1978;
- Plain Dealer [Cleveland] – Lacks: Nov 1946; Jul 1-15, 1953; Nov 1956; Dec 1962; Jan-Mar 1963; Nov-Dec 1974; Jun 1-15, 1977;
- Oregonian – Lacks: Nov 22-30, 1930; Apr 17-24, 1943; Mar 1-15, 1949; Jun 16-30, 1963; Aug 16-31, 1968; Mar 9-15, Apr 17-30, 1969; Feb 1-15, 1972; Apr 16-30, 1973;
- Press-Register [Mobile] – Lacks: Oct 8-13, 1976; Mar 1-15, 1980;
- Seattle Times – Lacks: Nov 1-8, 1944; Nov19-Dec 31, 1945; Jan 1-12, 1946; Aug 1-Oct 18, 1953;
- Trenton Times – Lacks: May 16-31, 1973; Sep 22-26, 1986;
- Springfield Republican and Springfield Union – Lacks: May 1-15, 1941; [Sept. 26, 1946-Mar. 6, 1947 missing due to newspaper strike]; Feb 16-28, 1959; Nov 1982; Jun-Dec 1987; Apr 1-10, Jun 1-10, Oct 1-10, 1988
- Dallas Morning News – Lacks: Dec 1923;
- Augusta Chronicle – Lacks: Jun 1924; Dec 21-31, 1924; Sep, Dec 1926; Mar 9-31, 1930; Sep 1930; Mar 10-31, 1931; Jan-Mar 1932; Jul-Dec 1932; Jul 11-26, 1935; Apr 1-10, Jun, Oct-Dec 1937; Dec 1938; Sep 1939; Mar 1940; Mar 1942; Oct-Dec 1943; May 19-Jun 17, 1944; Jan-Mar 1948; Aug 1948; Nov-Dec 1950; Jan-Aug 1951; Dec 1951; Jan 1952; Jul 1954; Nov 17-30, 1954; Jan, Apr 1955; Mar 1957; Sep 1959; Sep 1962; May 1963; Apr 14-30, 1964; Mar 1965; Mar 12-31, May 12-31, 1969; Oct 1970; Oct 1-15, 1972; Jul 1975; Jan-Feb, Apr 1981; May-Jun 1982; Feb 1-15, 1983; Jan, Apr 1984; Jun22-30, 1986; Jan-Feb, Jun, Oct, 1988; Mar 16-31, 1990; Jan 1991; Mar 17-31, 1991; Nov 9-30, 1992; May16-Jul 15, 1993.
The 20th c. American Newspapers series share a common interface with Readex’s other news products (African American Newspapers, 1827-1998; Hispanic American Newspapers, 1808-1980; Early American Newspapers; and American Ethnic Newspapers). The platform offers a variety of advanced search features, such as:
- Searching one, all, or selected newspaper titles
- Limiting by specific date ranges
- Searching specific “article types” (News/Opinion, Legislative Acts or Legal Proceedings, Advertisements, Matrimony and Death Notices, etc.).
- Narrowing by place of publication
- Full-text search, or headline only
But the interface notes that “some documents have not been indexed by article types.” For best results, users may need to search without selecting such filters.
Strengths and weaknesses.
It is very helpful to provide online coverage of regional papers for the mid-century period following the ubiquitous copyright cutoff date of 1922. At the same time, the selection of papers represented in these three individual series forces diversity rather than allowing for building regional strength.
Direct from Publisher
|Subjects covered||American History|
|Geographic coverage||Published in the United States|
|P||Total pages||Series 1: 5,373,213; Series 2: 3,094,676; Series 3: 3,636,458 = Total: 12,104,347|
|Digital collection launch date||May 2009|
|Completion date||September 2012|
|Browser compatibility||MSIE 6+, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera|
|Authentication options||IP recognition, username & password, library card, Shibboleth|
|P||Archiving solution – master files||400 dpi group 4 TIFF - bitonal or grayscale (dependent on source material)|
|P||Archiving solution – derivative files||400 dpi group 4 TIFF (bitonal)|
|Availability in web discovery tools||N|
|Open URL target||Y|
|Federated searching, z39.50||Y|
|Local host option||Y (with purchase of tapes, according to terms of license)|
|Full text displayed||N|
|Search full text||Y|
|Search within results||N|
|Limit results by dates and/or document types||Y|
|Display highlighted search terms||Y|
|Display snippet -- search term in context||Y|
|Print full document||Y, up to 75 pages at one time (can do multiple downloads for long documents)|
|ILL||Y (special provision request following CONTU Guidelines)|
|Restrictions on use|
|Publisher / Distributor||Readex, a division of NewsBank|
|Address||5801 Pelican Bay Blvd., Suite 600, Naples, FL 34108|
|P||Related product(s)||Early American Newspapers, Series 1-9; Ethnic American Newspapers from the Balch Collection; American Newspaper Archives; AHN Select; other Archive of Americana collections|
|CRL Profile of Publisher|
|P||Multiple year payments option||Y|
|P||List of purchasers available||Y, upon request|
|P||Sample license available||Y, upon request|
|P||MARC records purchase fee||NA|
|P||Pricing based on tiers?|