New 2013 CRL Board Members and OfficersAbr 22 2013
Three new members have been elected to the Board of Directors of the Center for Research Libraries:
- Lars Schoultz is William Rand Kenan, Jr. Professor of Political Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received his B.A. and M.A. from Stanford University and his Ph.D. from UNC. His area of special interest is inter-American relations. He has held a Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship in Buenos Aires to study Argentine electoral behavior, two postdoctoral research grants from the Social Science Research Council to study United States policy toward Latin America, and a Ford Foundation grant to study U.S. immigration policy. He has been a MacArthur Fellow in International Peace and Security and held residential fellowships at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and at the National Humanities Center. Schoultz is the recipient of the Tanner Award (1982), the Class of 1994 Award (1994), and the William Friday Award (2006), all for teaching excellence.
- Virginia Steel has been University Librarian at the University of California, Santa Cruz since 2005. She currently also serves as the Chair of the University of California Council of University Librarians. Prior to her arrival at UC Santa Cruz she served as Director of Libraries at Washington State University and as Associate Director for Public Services in the MIT Libraries. Ginny also worked at the University of California, San Diego; Arizona State University; and Brown University earlier in her career. She has a B.A. from the University of Rochester and an A.M. from the Graduate Library School at the University of Chicago. She served as the President of the Library Administration and Management Association (LAMA) in 2004-05 and has been active in a variety of regional and national library associations.
- Xuemao Wang currently serves as Dean and University Librarian of University of Cincinnati, United States. He is responsible for providing strategic leadership and operational oversight for the entire UC Libraries system. He came to the University of Cincinnati from Emory University, where he was the Associate Vice Provost of University Libraries since 2009. Prior to that appointment, he was the Head of Library Systems at Johns Hopkins University, Sheridan Libraries, with responsibilities for supporting university-wide enterprise library systems. He also served as Director of Information Technology for the Metropolitan New York Library Council, Manager of Internet Services for Queen s Borough Public Library, and Head of the Information Service Department for a Chinese academic institution in China.
The new Board members were elected at the CRL Annual Council Meeting on April 19, 2013. The term of office is three years (2013–16). Elected to second terms on the Board were: Richard Fyffe, Rosenthal Librarian of the College, Grinnell College; Susan Gibbons, University Librarian, Yale University; James Grossman, Executive Director, American Historical Association; and Susan Martin, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of Tennessee. The members of the Nominating Committee are Sarah Michalak, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (chair); Barbara Dewey, Pennsylvania State University; Nancy Allen, University of Denver; Leslie Weir, University of Ottawa; Virginia Steel, University of California, Santa Cruz; and Bernard Reilly, CRL.
On April 18, the CRL Board of Directors elected the following as officers of the Board for the 2013–14 term:
- Chair, Richard Fyffe, Samuel R. and Marie-Louise Rosenthal Librarian of the College, Grinnell College
- Vice Chair, Leslie Weir, University Librarian, University of Ottawa
- Secretary, Janice Welburn, Dean of University Libraries, Marquette University
- Treasurer, Scott Waugh, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, University of California, Los Angeles