CRL Seeks Director for NERL ProgramAbr 22 2013
The recent transition of the North East Research Library Consortium (NERL) from Yale University to the Center for Research Libraries creates a strategic partnership designed to provide research libraries greater leverage and return on their investments in the acquisition and licensing of electronic resources. It also creates a career opportunity for a licensing professional to contribute to the rapidly expanding field of electronic resource acquisition and licensing as the NERL Program Director at CRL.
Duties include: promoting and supporting member and affiliate participation in the NERL program; vendor negotiations and communications; monitoring of program payables and receivables; and planning and coordinating the activities of the NERL team. The program director may take on other activities such as advocacy or collection development projects to leverage program results.
A Masters' Degree in library science or equivalent from and ALA-accredited program is strongly preferred and the following skills and experience are required:
- Minimum of five years professional level library and/or electronic publishing experience that includes no fewer than two years of supervisory experience with responsibility for extensive internal and external communications
- Knowledge of current and emerging information technologies and electronic publishing formats, authentication methods, and platforms
- Thorough understanding of a broad range of electronic delivery tools and solutions
- Knowledge of commercial publishing practices, business models and licensing provisions
- Familiarity with laws and federal regulations as they pertain to intellectual property and copyright in an academic setting
- Strong negotiation and facilitation skills and an ability to articulate NERL positions on database licensing and purchases
- Superior oral and written communication skills, and the ability to effectively engage, motivate and coordinate external constituencies
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex legal and policy concepts
- Demonstrated capacity for building and leading teams
- Familiarity with web content management systems and authoring tools such as Drupal.
In addition to a challenging professional opportunity to contribute to a new and promising strategic initiative, CRL offers a competitive salary and exceptional benefits package. Respond with the title of the position in the subject line to: Resumes [at] crl [dot] edu. You may also fax or forward your resume indicating that you are applying for “NERL Program Director” to:
Center for Research Libraries
6050 S. Kenwood Ave.
Chicago Illinois 60637