Two new members have been elected to the Board of Directors of the Center for Research Libraries:
- David Marshall is the Executive Vice Chancellor at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Previously he was the Dean of Humanities and Fine Arts. As a Professor of English and Comparative Literature, Dr. Marshall’s research focuses on eighteenth-century fiction, aesthetics, and moral philosophy. A former Guggenheim Fellow, he has lectured widely and published on issues in higher education and public education. Dr. Marshall is President of the Board of Directors of the National Humanities Alliance, which advances national humanities policy in the areas of research, education, preservation, and public programs. Before joining UC Santa Barbara, Dr. Marshall was a professor at Yale University, and served as Chair of the English Department, among other appointments.
- Sarah M. Pritchard has been the Dean of Libraries and the Charles Deering McCormick University Librarian at Northwestern University since 2006. Dean Pritchard also has oversight of the Northwestern University Press and manages shared services with the law, medical, and NU-Qatar libraries. Previously she was University Librarian at the University of California, Santa Barbara; Director of Libraries at Smith College; Associate Executive Director at the Association of Research Libraries; and a specialist in reference and collection development at the Library of Congress. She is currently part of the JSTOR Advisory Board and the Library Publishing Coalition.
The new Board members were elected at the CRL Annual Council Meeting on April 21, 2017. The term of office is three years (2017–20). Elected to second terms on the Board were: Thomas G. Burish, Provost, University of Notre Dame and Virginia Steel, University Librarian, University of California, Los Angeles. The members of the Nominating Committee are Scott Waugh, University of California, Los Angeles; James Grossman, American Historical Association; Janice Welburn, Marquette University; Leslie Weir, University of Ottawa; and Bernard Reilly, CRL.
On April 21, the CRL Board of Directors elected the following as officers of the Board for the 2017–18 term:
- Chair, Virginia Steel, University Librarian, University of California, Los Angeles
- Vice Chair, Thomas G. Burish, Provost, University of Notre Dame
- Secretary, Bradley L. Schaffner, College Librarian and Senior Lecturer, Carleton College
- Treasurer, Xuemao Wang, Dean and University Librarian, University of Cincinnati