New CRL Board Members and OfficersMay 2 2012
The Board of Directors of the Center for Research Libraries announces the election of two new members:
- Dan Hazen has been Associate Librarian of Harvard College for Collection Development, Harvard University, since January 2005. He preceded this assignment with a term as Head of the Collection Development Department in Harvard's Widener Library; earlier still, he served for fourteen years as Widener's Librarian for Latin America, Spain, and Portugal. Mr. Hazen holds a doctorate in Latin American History from Yale University and a Master's in Library Science from Simmons College.
- James Hilton, Vice President and Chief Information Officer, University of Virginia, is responsible for planning and coordinating academic and administrative information technology, voice communications, and network operations on a university-wide basis. He is an advocate of strong collaboration between academic and technology cultures in university environments. Mr. Hilton received a B. A. in Psychology from the University of Texas in 1981 and a Ph.D. from the social psychology program at Princeton University in 1985.
The new Board members were elected at the CRL Annual Council Meeting on April 19, 2012. The term of office is three years (2012–15). Elected to second terms on the Board were: Paul Courant, University of Michigan; Charles Henry, Council on Library and Information Resources; and Leslie Weir, University of Ottawa. The members of the Nominating Committee are Sarah Michalak, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (chair); Barbara Dewey, Pennsylvania State University; Earl Lewis, Emory University; Nancy Allen, University of Denver; and Bernard Reilly, CRL.
On April 18, the CRL Board of Directors elected the following as officers of the Board for the 2012–13 term:
- Chair, Sarah Michalak, Associate Provost for Libraries, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Vice Chair, Richard Fyffe, Samuel R. and Marie-Louise Rosenthal Librarian of the College, Grinnell College
- Secretary, Leslie Weir, University Librarian, University of Ottawa
- Treasurer, Deborah Carver, Dean of Libraries, University of Oregon