Charleston Preconference: From LexisNexis to WikiLeaks: The New Marketplace for Government Information
Time: 1:00–4:00 p.m.
Location: Charleston, S.C.
Event Contact: Virginia Kerr - vkerr [at] crl [dot] edu
In the age of e-publishing and open data, government information and records are being exposed in intriguing new ways. More government-generated data and content is openly accessible on the Web today than ever before. Much is disseminated directly by government agencies, and then aggregated and republished with added-value tools and applications by commercial publishers; some is simply “exposed” by watchdog organizations like WikiLeaks and the news media. Publishers and aggregators are now changing their game to compete in a world of information surplus rather than scarcity.
The CRL preconference will bring together aggregators and republishers of government information with collection development and government information specialists to speculate on where these trends are leading. Questions the session will address include:
- How has the packaging and marketing of government information changed in the past five years and where is it going?
- What value do the commercial publishers add to the raw government information and data in the form of analysis and tools, and at what cost?
- How are new media and methodologies driving novel approaches to delivery of government content?
- What challenges does the new supply chain for government information present for researchers?
- Angela Carreño, Head of Collection Development
Elmer H. Bobst Library, New York University
- Catherine Jervey Johnson, Legislative Services, ProQuest (slides)
- Robert E. Lee, Online Publishing, East View Information Services (slides)
- Jeffrey Cross, Academic Sales, Statista, Inc. (slides)
- Bill Sudduth, Thomas Cooper Library, University of South Carolina (slides)
- Stephen Stesney, Managing Editor of Online Publishing, SAGE Publications (slides)
Early Bird Registration for Charleston Conference has been extended through September 16. Regular registration runs from 9/17-10/18. For more information and to register, visit http://katina.info/conference/.